Monday, May 18, 2009

preliminary letter to the city

To the planning committee of Los Altos City:

 

May 13, 2009

 

My name is Erika Roy.

I am a sophomore at Los Altos High School.

I am currently working on a project to spread awareness on the benefits and joys of community gardening.

Gardening has always been an interest of mine, my grandmother has a garden that spans at least a quarter acre, and my aunts also participate in growing their own fruits, vegetables, and flowers.

 

So that got me thinking..

Why in the world would Los Altos not have a community garden added into their "Project of the Future Los Altos Planning" (the future developments of the city property near North Los Altos Public Library) space to create a TRUE community, a TRUE mix of people with a TRUE bond over the love of gardening, the environment, saving money when buying produce, living more naturally and most of all becoming a part of THEIR community.

 

I was reading Los Altos’ City website;

 

"The Community Development Department works to promote the orderly development of the community while preserving and enhancing the City's appearance and its distinct character. The Department also ensures that all projects within the City, both public and private, are constructed and maintained in a safe and legal environment."

 

What better way to create a community while preserving (and enhancing) the city's heritage and character then to create a center where families, friends, and total strangers can meet up and create this so called pristine community Los Altos is set as being.

 

Having community garden just minutes away from my house would allow me to expand my horizons on whom I meet, what I do, and how beneficial it really is.

 

 

 

If the person reading this letter 

has any questions, concerns or comments

about my pervious typed words.

 

I urge you to reply back to me...

I want to here the feedback of the city I live in and what they can do for me, and better yet for MY, YOUR, OUR community.

 

 

Thank you,

Erika Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment